Saturday, July 20, 2013

MAS-345 Digital Multimeter Data Acquisition Software


I recently finished up a data acquisition program for the MAS-345 Digital Multimeter.  I used my custom JavaFX windows from an old project, styled to match the meter itself.  The meter is sold under several brands including Mastech, RSR, and Sinometer.  The original software will not run on 64 bit systems so I've written this program to provide support for modern computers.  The project was built in JavaFX and uses the RXTX library for RS232 serial port communication.  If you're a programmer with questions about these tools, ask away.  I'll try my best to answer.

A demonstration of the use and features of the data acquisition program can be seen in the video below.



This program should run on Windows, Linux, and Mac.  Some fiddling may be required on Linux and Mac to get RXTX installed properly (So far I've only tested it on Windows 7 x64).  The Windows installer available below should make installation on Windows operating systems fairly easy.  See the included README.txt for additional installation info and RXTX downloads.

NOTE: It is essential that you match your OS Architecture, Java JRE, and RXTX versions.  Running 32 bit Java on a 64 bit system will prevent RXTX from functioning!

Huszty Gergo created a C# version a while back.  His program inspired me to go ahead with this project.  Try his out if you have problems fiddling with RXTX or I somehow break something in mine.

Downloads
Windows Installer (x86, x64, ia64) ▼ MAS-345 Setup Windows.exe
Multiplatform Jar (requires user to download and set up RXTX) ▼ MAS-345 Multiplatform JAR.jar


RXTX binaries courtesy of Mfizz Inc.
Digital-7 font created by Style-7

15 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Is it possible to connect to a mastech mas 344 ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading that the MAS-343 and MAS-344 use the same connection settings as the 345, but I never looked for confirmation and I've not tried it with either meter.

      Oh my. Just loaded up the program for the first time using Java8. Quite a few screwed up UI elements. I'll need to go back and fix those. : /

      Delete
  2. Hello there! I was wondering if we do have fix for Java 7 update 55? Looks like Java FX is failing under Win7 64 bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it running on Java 7u55, albeit with some awful UI errors. I'll try and update everything to the new JavaFX standards this weekend.

      The most common startup error is caused by running 32 bit Java on a 64 bit machine. The serial port communication library I've used is platform specific and requires consistency between the JRE, platform, and RXTX version.

      Delete
    2. I am working on updating this software. I'm switching back to the default windows as my custom windows need a bit of work. No ETA at the moment. Busy with job hunting so it may take a bit.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want install a software named mas345 that you invent in my smart phone which operated by android
    Is it possible?
    Hit me back

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying to establish communication MAS 345 with a PC using Matlab. I used Matlab TM tool and NI MAX with SCPI command *IDN?\n ....without success. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to establish communication MAS 345 with a PC using Matlab. I used Matlab TM tool and NI MAX with SCPI command *IDN?\n ....without success. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It also runs with the Velleman DVM345. Great work - I stumbled upon this while searching for MAS-view, as I needed to log something using this old MM. So me happy. BTW - Running on old Vista 32 bit PC and Java 8.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, As with "unknown"'s post on Oct 29, I an looking for software to Data Acq software under win 7 64 bit for my Velleman DVM345DI. Really please I found NooleanBot. However, when I tried to download the MAS-345 setup file just now Chrome reported that the file is infected with a virus. The java multiplatform file downloaded ok.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola soy de Argentina no veo muchos comentarios por aquí de este esplendido programa y muy útil para mi ya que estoy en primer año de electrónica. Mi pregunta es... " que circuito emplea y por donde van las puntas de prueba.Aparenta como los osciloscopios que llevan circuitos y se conectan al canal de sonido.¿Podría usted asesorar con algun video explicativo como conectarlo? Gracias Enrique de Buenos Aires

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want install a software named mas345 in my window 10 labtop, is it possible?
    Hit me back 'sth105812@naver.com' Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kris, Finally got the software working with my Vellemann DVM345DI multimeter. As expectred, it was a miss-match between 32 / 64 bit versions of Java with my 64 bit OS. Nice interface. Thx, steve

    ReplyDelete